For an incredible view of Kyoto, head up to the Shoren-in Shogunzuka Seiryuden viewpoint. This new viewpoint offers a commanding view over the whole city.
The view over Kyoto from the Seiryuden viewpoint – image © Jeffrey Friedl
Completed in 2015, this new viewpoint offers one of the best views over the city (rivaled only by the view from Mt. Daimonji). This viewpoint is actually a subtemple of Shoren-in Temple, which sits at the base of the mountain, far below this viewpoint.
The best way to get here is to walk. See my Shogunzuka and Seiryuden Hike page for full details on the hiking route that leads here. Otherwise, you can take the Tozai subway line to Keage Station and take a taxi here (about 5 minutes and Y1,000). There’s also a bus on weekends and holidays. For details, see the Shoren-in Shogunzuka Seiryuden Access page.
The main wooden viewing platform offers an eye-popping view over the entire basin of Kyoto. To your north, you can easily make out the side of Mt. Daimonji and Mt. Hiei and then over to the whole Kitayama Range and over to Arashiyama, on the west side of the city.
In addition to the viewing platform, there’s a peaceful Buddhist prayer hall and a small garden. You can also climb to an older and higher metal viewing platform, which gives a slightly better view over to Yamashina, to the east.
Shogun-zuka Viewpoint (new subtemple of Shoren-in)
English address: 28 Zushioku-Kacho-cho, Yamashina-ku
Japanese address: 山科区厨子奥花鳥町28
Opening hours: 9am-5pm
Non-smoking area: Yes
Nearest Transport: 5min taxi from Keage Station, Tozai subway line
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
Shoren-in Shogunzuka Seiryuden Viewpoint is located in Kyoto’s Southern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Southern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world