Takayama is a great place to enjoy Japan’s fall foliage. Here, I’ll introduce the best foliage-viewing spots in Takayama.
Takayama’s Hido no Sato with fall colors © kimon
In a hurry? Scroll down for our list of the best foliage spots in Takayama. Otherwise, read the following section on the best time to see the autumn colors in Takayama
When Is Fall Foliage Season In Takayama?
In an average year, the leaves start changing color sometime in early October in Takayama. The peak of autumn color usually comes in early to mid-November, and you can usually see colors on the trees until early December. Thus, in an average year, the foliage season in Takayama lasts from October 1st to December 1st, with a peak around November 1st.
Note that if you arrive in the city before the colors are working, you can head up to the nearby mountains to enjoy the colors (for example, in Kamikochi).
Autumn Colors in Takayama © kimon
Takayama’s Best Fall Foliage Spots
Here is our list of the best fall foliage spots in Takayama. For more details on these places, visit our Things To Do in Takayama page.
Hida no Sato: This superb park-like open-air museum of traditional Japanese houses is easily the best place in the city to enjoy the autumn colors. The thatch-roof houses look fantastic when framed by crimson maple leaves.
Higashiyama Walkway: This walking course on the east side of the city allows you to enjoy several temples and some beautiful maple trees, as well as the occasional view over the city and the surrounding mountains.
Kamikochi: As mentioned above, if you arrive in Takayama before the leaves are really working, consider a day or overnight trip to the mountain sanctuary of Kamikochi. The leaves turn a few weeks earlier here and you can always climb higher to chase the autumn colors if you’re really early.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on our Takayama Google map:
- Open the Takayama map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Takayama Travel Guide:
- Takayama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Takayama
- Best Places To Eat In Takayama
- Takayama Itineraries
- Takayama Cherry Blossoms
- Takayama Fall Foliage
- Takayama Ryokan
- Takayama Hotels
- How To Get To Takayama
- Getting Around Takayama
- When To Go To Takayama
Other Japan Travel Guides:
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)