January 2018: Please note Tour Club has closed down. Please see Best Kyoto Hotels and Guesthouses for hand-picked places to stay in the same budget category
Kyoto’s best budget guesthouse just a stone’s throw from Kyoto Station. It’s a great place to meet other to meet other travelers.
Operated by the same genial fellow who runs Budget Inn, Tour Club is the perfect guesthouse for budget travelers. It’s only 10 minutes’ walk from Kyoto Station and it’s close to some interesting attractions, like Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple. Tour Club has a mix of dorm rooms and private rooms, all of which are well maintained. The private rooms have en suite bathrooms.
Like its counterpart, the Budget Inn, one of the real draws here is the friendly English-speaking staff and the chance to meet other travellers (there’s a comfortable Japanese-style common area), as well as everything you need while on the road: laundry facilities, free wifi and a couple of computer terminals in the lobby. Tour Club is highly recommended.
362 Momiji-cho, Higashinakasuji, Shomen-sagaru, Shimogyo-ku
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
10min walk from JR Kyoto Station Karasuma central gate
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth itfor you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world