For a good bowl of noodles while exploring Gion or before taking in some kabuki at nearby Minamiza, Yagura is the perfect choice.
Directly across the street from Kyoto’s kabuki theatre, Minamiza Kabuki Theatre, Yagura is a simple but tasty soba specialist that makes a great lunch stop while exploring Gion. It’s traditional to enjoy a bowl of “nishin soba” (soba topped with a smoked herring) before or after a kabuki performance, and we see no reason to break from tradition, especially here where they do a killer bowl of the stuff.
For more Kyoto soba and udon choices, see our Best Soba and Udon in Kyoto page.
Shijo-dori, Yamato oji nishi iru, Higashiyama-ku
Non-smoking area: No
5min walk from Gion Shijo Station, Keihan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Yagura on TripAdvisor
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)