Yoshuji is the nicest place to eat in Kurama, full stop. You can choose from sets of Buddhist vegetarian cuisine or simpler bowls of noodles.
Halfway up the steps on your right just before you enter Kurama-dera Mountain Temple, Yoshuji is a great place to fuel up before an ascent of the mountain (or a good place to slake that hunger after doing the climbing). This is a surprisingly sophisticated restaurant for such a small village as this, and this delightful incongruity only adds to the attraction of the place.
For more meat-free eating suggestions, read our round-up of Kyoto’s Best Vegetarian Restaurants.
1074-2 Honmachi, Kurama, Sakyo-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
2min walk from Kurama Station, Eizan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Yoshuji on TripAdvisor
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads