This super-stylish coffee shop serves some of the best coffee in Kyoto and occupies a prime position on a lovely lane leading up to Yasaka-no-To Pagoda.
Arabica Higashiyama – image © Jun Kitayama
If you need a break while exploring Gion or the Southern Higashiyama District (Kiyomizu-dera, Kodai-ji, Nene-no-michi etc), then head to this artisanal coffee specialist. The stark, brightly lit and sleek design of the place stands in direct contrast to the traditional wooden architecture of the area, but this juxtaposition works well. The coffee is among the best in Kyoto. There is a small sitting area inside, but it’s rather cramped, so it’s not really a place to linger – it’s more of a place to get your caffeine fix and move on.
And, in case you’re wondering, the name is pronounced ‘Percent Arabica’.
For more Kyoto cafe choices, see our Best Cafes in Kyoto page.
87-5 Hoshino-cho, Higashiyama-ku
東山区 星野町 87-5
Non-smoking area: Yes
5 min walk from Higashiyama Yasui Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 206 from Kyoto Station
Website: Official Website
Read customer reviews of % Arabica Higashiyama on TripAdvisor
Near To Here:
% Arabica Higashiyama is located in Kyoto’s Southern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Southern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world