October 2022: Please note Au Temps Perdu has now permanently closed. Please see our Northern Higashiyama page for other places to eat and drink in the area.
A perfect little French café on the edge of Kyoto’s museum district (Okazaki-koen Park), there are few better places in Kyoto to sip tea and watch the world go by.
Located beside the picturesque Shirakawa Canal, Au Temps Perdu is a brilliant spot for lunch or a cuppa while exploring such nearby museums at the Kyoto City KYOCERA Museum of Art or the National Museum of Modern Art. The quiche here is perfectly done and the pastries are to die for. And if you’ve had it with the sad excuse for bread that you find in most Japanese supermarkets (known locally as “shokupan”), this is the place to buy a crusty baguette or a hearty loaf of rye bread. In warm months, you can sit outside and watch the local swells promenade along the canal.
64 Okazaki Enshoji-cho, Higashiyama-ku
Closed Monday and irregular Tuesdays
Non-smoking area: Yes
10min walk from Higashiyama Station, Tozai subway line
Official Website (Japanese)
Near To Here:
Au Temps Perdu is located in Kyoto’s Northern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Northern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world