Hiroshima is a decent place to see Japan’s famous fall foliage, and the nearby island of Miyajima is a fantastic place to enjoy the colors. Here, I’ll introduce the best foliage-viewing spots in Hiroshima and Miyajima.
Autumn colors on Miyajima Island © freedomiiphotography
In a hurry? Scroll down for our list of the best foliage spots in Hiroshima and Miyajima. Otherwise, read the following section on the best time to see the autumn colors in Hiroshima and Miyajima
When Is Fall Foliage Season In Hiroshima And Miyajima?
In an average year, the leaves start changing color sometime in October in Hiroshima and Miyajima. The peak of autumn color usually comes in mid-November, and you can usually see colors on the trees until mid-December. Thus, in an average year, the foliage season in Hiroshima and Miyajima lasts from 15 October to 15 December, with a peak around 15 November.
Autumn colors in Hiroshima © 25504128@N07
Hiroshima’s Best Fall Foliage Spots
Here is our list of the best fall foliage spots in Hiroshima. For more details on these places, visit our Things To Do in Hiroshima and Miyajima page.
- Peace Memorial Park: The Peace Park is filled with beautiful trees, including some wonderful ginko trees that turn bright yellow in autumn. The banks of the river are also lined with trees that turn color in autumn.
- Hiroshima Castle: The grounds of Hiroshima Castle are studded with wonderful trees and this is a great place to enjoy the colors.
- Shukkei-en Garden: The best place in the city to enjoy the fall foliage is in this spacious garden. It’s a soothing place to escape and reflect after visiting the Peace Park.
Miyajima’s Best Fall Foliage Spots
Here is our list of the best fall foliage spots on the island of Miyajima. For more details on these places, visit our Things To Do in Hiroshima and Miyajima page.
- Momiji-dani-koen Park: The name of this park means “Maple Valley Park,” and like the name suggests, it’s filled with maple trees that turn brilliant crimson in a good foliage year. This is the best place on the island to enjoy the colors without having to hike very far.
- Daisho-in Temple: The steps up to this temple and the grounds themselves are filled with maples and other trees that turn color in autumn. This is a great place to combine culture and natural sightseeing.
- Mt Misen: The slopes of Mt Misen are covered with maples that are absolutely spectacular in autumn. The easy way to enjoy the colors is to take the cable car up and then walk down.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on our Hiroshima Google map:
- Open the Hiroshima map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Hiroshima and Miyajima Travel Guide:
- Hiroshima and Miyajima Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Hiroshima and Miyajima
- Hiroshima and Miyajima Walking Tour
- Best Places To Eat In Hiroshima And Miyajima
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Itineraries
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Cherry Blossoms
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Fall Foliage
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Districts
- Best Ryokan In Hiroshima And Miyajima
- Best Hotels In Hiroshima And Miyajima
- How To Get To Hiroshima and Miyajima
- Getting Around Hiroshima and Miyajima
- When To Go To Hiroshima and Miyajima
Other Japan Travel Guides:
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads