Kamiji Kakimoto is one of the best places in Kyoto to buy washi (Japanese handmade paper).
People who love washi (Japanese handmade paper) never tire of arguing about which of Kyoto’s two main paper shops is better: Morita Washi or Kamiji Kakimoto. Frankly, we see no point in arguing: Just visit both of them. Kamiji Kakimoto, located on a stretch of Teramachi that is chock-a-bloc with craft stores, antiques stores and art stores, is the prefect place to spend a few hours getting inspired for your next art project. It also carries some truly unique goods, like handmade Japanese printer paper.
54 Tokiwagi-cho, Teramachi-dori, Nijo agaru, Nakagyo-ku
Washi paper napkin (12 sheets) from Y550
10min walk from Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae Station, Tozai subway line
See hotels near to Kamiji Kakimoto on Agoda.com
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Downtown Kyoto, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads