Kamiji Kakimoto is one of the best places in Kyoto to buy washi (Japanese handmade paper).
People who love washi (Japanese handmade paper) never tire of arguing about which of Kyoto’s two main paper shops is better: Morita Washi or Kamiji Kakimoto. Frankly, we see no point in arguing: Just visit both of them. Kamiji Kakimoto, located on a stretch of Teramachi that is chock-a-bloc with craft stores, antiques stores and art stores, is the prefect place to spend a few hours getting inspired for your next art project. It also carries some truly unique goods, like handmade Japanese printer paper.
54 Tokiwagi-cho, Teramachi-dori, Nijo agaru, Nakagyo-ku
Washi paper napkin (12 sheets) from Y550
10min walk from Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae Station, Tozai subway line
See hotels near to Kamiji Kakimoto on Agoda.com
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)