The Takashimiya Resutoran-gai (restaurant floor) is a great place to eat while exploring downtown Kyoto.
While both of Kyoto’s main downtown department stores (Daimaru and Takashimaya) offer excellent resutoran-gai (restaurant floors), the one at Takashimaya gets the nod as the more elegant and better of the two.
Up on the 7th floor of the Takashimaya building (take the elevator), you’ll find all the major types of Japanese cuisine on offer here, as well as French, Italian and Chinese food. All told, it’s one of the best places to eat downtown, and most places aren’t too shocked by the appearance of the occasional foreigner.
Seventh floor, 52 Shin-cho, Shijo-dori Kawaramachi Nishi iru, Shimogyo-ku
Yes/No (varies by each restaurant)
1min walk from Kawaramachi Station, Hankyu railway, Kyoto line (directly accessible underground)
5min walk from Gion Shijo Station, Keihan dentetsu
Website: Official Website (English)
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)