Located in the basement of Fujii-Daimaru Department Store, Tavelt is a small but excellent food floor. The takeaway sushi and sashimi is especially strong.
Tavelt sign – image © Jun Kitayama
While not on the level of the food floors at nearby Daimaru and Takashimaya, Tavelt is still a fantastic wonderland of great food, ingredients and drinks. The produce section is very good and, the sushi and sashimi section is excellent. If you’re staying downtown, this would be a good spot to self-cater a nice dinner. The Tavelt food floor is located in the basement of Fujii-Daimaru Department Store.
Travelt Sushi – image © Jun Kitayama
Tavelt Food Floor
B1 Floor, 605 Teianmae-cho, Nakagyo-ku
1-minute walk from Kawaramachi Station on the Hankyu Line
10-minute walk from Karasuma Station on the Karasuma Subway Line
Official website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)