Located in Western Honshu (Japan’s main island), Hiroshima is less than two hours from Kansai (Osaka, Kyoto and Kobe) and four hours from Tokyo by shinkansen (bullet train). Miyajima is just a short hop from Hiroshima. Here is everything you need to know.
300 series SHINKANSEN © tmizo
- The shinkansen (bullet train) is the best way to travel from the main cities of Honshu (Japan’s main island) to Hiroshima. Here are the fares and times:
- Tokyo > Hiroshima: 4 hours, Y18,040 by Nozomi shinkansen
- Kyoto > Hiroshima: 1 hour and 40 minutes, Y10,570 by Nozomi shinkansen
- Osaka > Hiroshima: 1 hour and 26 minutes, Y9,710 by Nozomi shinkansen
- See below for full details.
Unless you’re coming from a place like Hokkaido or Tohoku (northern Japan), the best way to get to Hiroshima is by shinkansen (bullet train). Yes, you can fly from Osaka or Tokyo, but once you factor in the time it takes to get to/from airports and check-in etc, the train is usually faster.
Getting to Hiroshima by Train from Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo etc
- Hiroshima is on the main shinkansen line that runs from Tokyo all the way down to Kyushu. See above for times and fares from Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo. The fastest trains are the Nozomi shinkansen, which usually run direct from these cities to Hiroshima (and sometimes beyond).
Important Note for Japan Rail Pass Holders
- If you are paying cash for your shinkansen tickets, you can take the fastest type of shinkansen (the Nozomi) all the way out to Hiroshima from Kyoto, Osaka or Tokyo without having to change trains. There are multiple direct departures every hours from about 8am to 8pm. However, if you are traveling with a Japan Rail Pass, you cannot ride the Nozomi; you can only ride the slower Hikari, Sakura or Kodama shinkansen on this line. The best route usually involves taking a Hikari shinkansen to Shin-Osaka (Osaka’s shinkansen station) from Tokyo or Kyoto and changing to a Sakura shinkansen there. I strongly suggest asking at the JR office at your departure station before you depart, because if you time this wrong, you can wind up waiting a long time in Osaka or Okayama en route.
Bargain Buses to Hiroshima
- The cheapest way to travel to Hiroshima from other parts of Honshu is by bus. Willer Express operates buses between Japan’s major cities and Hiroshima. Here are some typical times and fares: Tokyo > Hiroshima: 10 hours, Y7,100; Osaka > Hiroshima: about 6 hours, Y4,700; Kyoto > Hiroshima: about 7 hours, Y4,700.
Flying to Hiroshima
- If you don’t like sitting on trains, you can fly from Tokyo’s Haneda Airport to Hiroshima Airport in about 90 minutes. Fares usually average around Y35,000 each way, but you can get better deals if you buy at least a month in advance or go through a Japanese travel agent.
Getting to Miyajima
- See my Getting Around Hiroshima-Miyajima page for details on travel between Hiroshima and Miyajima.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on our Hiroshima Google map:
- Open the Hiroshima map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Hiroshima and Miyajima Travel Guide:
- Hiroshima and Miyajima Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Hiroshima and Miyajima
- Hiroshima and Miyajima Walking Tour
- Best Places To Eat In Hiroshima And Miyajima
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Itineraries
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Cherry Blossoms
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Fall Foliage
- Hiroshima And Miyajima Districts
- Best Ryokan In Hiroshima And Miyajima
- Best Hotels In Hiroshima And Miyajima
- How To Get To Hiroshima and Miyajima
- Getting Around Hiroshima and Miyajima
- When To Go To Hiroshima and Miyajima