Tucked beneath the train tracks at Hanshin Sannomiya Station in the Sannomiya-Motomachi district, down-to-earth Hyotan specialises in gyoza or Japanese dumplings.
Hyotan – image © Florentyna Leow
Marked by its distinctive red noren curtains at the entrance, Hyotan is a no-frills restaurant specialising in gyoza (dumplings). They do just one thing and they do it well – choose from pan-fried, boiled, or deep-fried gyoza by the half or full dozen. We love the delicately-textured wrappers, and the savoury minced pork, leek, and cabbage filling. While it’s not the best gyoza in the world, the experience of eating tasty dumplings at a super-local joint can’t be beat. You’ll find it under the train tracks at Hanshin Sannomiya Station.
1-31-37 Kitanagasa-dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe-shi, 650-0012
Monday-Friday: 11:30am-3pm, 5pm-12am
Saturday, Sunday and national holidays: 11:30am-10pm
Train and Subway: 2-minute walk from the Hankyu west exit of Sannomiya / Kobe Sannomiya Station.
Instagram Page (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Hyotan on TripAdvisor.
More Kobe Restaurant Recommendations:
See all the restaurants we recommend on our Places to Eat in Kobe page.
Kobe Travel Guide:
- Kobe Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Kobe
- Places To Eat In Kobe
- Kobe Itineraries
- Family-friendly Attractions in Kobe
- Kobe Cherry Blossoms
- Kobe Fall Foliage
- Kobe Districts
- Kobe Ryokan
- Kobe Hotels
- Kobe Map
- How To Get To Kobe
- Getting Around Kobe
- Best Time To Go To Kobe
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth itfor you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world