With many beautiful public parks and open green spaces, Kobe is a great place to see Japan’s famous autumn colours. Here is a list of the best spots in the city and information on timing.
View from the top at Nunobiki Herb Gardens
When is Fall Foliage Season in Kobe?
While it can vary year-on-year with the climate, in general, the leaves start changing sometime in late October to early November. The autumn colours are typically best in Kobe between mid-November and mid-December, peaking around the second half of November.
Autumn in the Nunobiki Herb Gardens: Visun Khankasem / Shutterstock.com
Kobe’s Best Fall Foliage Spots
Here is our list of the best fall foliage spots in Kobe. For more details on these places, visit our Things To Do in Kobe page.
- Mount Rokko: Autumn on the mountain is lovely, especially around the Rokko Alpine Botanical Garden, Nunobiki Herb Garden, and the Nunobiki Waterfall. The views from the Shin-Kobe Ropeway on the way up are lovely in autumn.
- Sorakuen Garden: The garden’s maple and dogwood trees turn brilliant scarlet and yellow. As a bonus, you get to enjoy the Kobe Chrysanthemum Exhibition, too.
- Kobe Municipal Arboretum: With close to 40 varieties of deciduous trees including maples, larches, dawn redwoods, and American sweet gums, it’s one of the most gorgeous places in Kobe for the autumn colours. It’s a bit of a trek out of the city, but as a bonus, it’s less crowded than neighbouring Kyoto!
If you have extra time to spend in Kobe:
- Arima Onsen: This hot spring town is a great weekend getaway in autumn. Enjoy stunning views of blazing red, gold, and crimson while riding the 12-minute Rokko-Arima Ropeway. Don’t forget to stop by Tsuzumigataki Park for a look at its gorgeous waterfall, and Zuihoji Park for a lovely path lined with autumn leaves.
- Suma RIkyu Park: Enjoy the autumn leaves and a profusion of roses blooming in this European-style garden. Best visited in mid-November.
- Tairyuji Temple: With its deciduous forest backdrop, this 1000-year old temple at the foot of Mount Futatabi seems to be consumed by fire in autumn.
- Futatabi Park: Located north of Mount Futatabi, this park is a local favourite for fall foliage. We love enjoying the colours from benches around Shiogahara Pond.
Kobe Travel Guide:
- Kobe Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Kobe
- Places To Eat In Kobe
- Kobe Itineraries
- Family-friendly Attractions in Kobe
- Kobe Cherry Blossoms
- Kobe Fall Foliage
- Kobe Districts
- Kobe Ryokan
- Kobe Hotels
- Kobe Map
- How To Get To Kobe
- Getting Around Kobe
- Best Time To Go To Kobe
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world