Nicer than most of the guesthouses on the real Khaosan Road, this is a fine guesthouse/hotel in downtown Kyoto.
The rooms are tiny but the Khaosan Kyoto Guesthouse is filled with character and boasts and unbeatable downtown location. You can walk to almost everything downtown and even as far as the Southern Higashiyama Sightseeing District or Kyoto Station if you felt like it. There’s also a subway station and two train stations nearby. Oh, and did we mention Nishiki Market and two of Kyoto’s finest department stores, Daimaru and Takashimaya? There are private rooms and dorm rooms and a cool common area.
Name in English:
Khaosan Kyoto Guest House
Name in Japanese:
568 Nakano-cho, Bukkoji-agaru, Teramachi-dori, Shimogyo-ku
Internet: free wifi access and communal PC
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
1min walk from Kawaramachi Station Exit 10, Hankyu line
Official site (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
More Kyoto Hotels info:
- Kyoto Hotels Overview
- Check availability and pricing for Kyoto hotels at Agoda.com
- The Best Places To Stay In Kyoto
- Where To Stay In Kyoto
- Best Value Hotels In Kyoto
- Kyoto Vacation Rentals
- Best Luxury Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Boutique Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Mid-Range Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Kyoto Hostels and Guesthouses
- Best Kyoto Hotels For Families
- Best Ryokan In Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)