Kobe is famous for its tender, marbled Wagyu beef and Komon is a popular (and reasonably-priced) venue to get a taste in the Sannomiya-Motomachi district.
Komon – image © Florentyna Leow
Another great way to try out Kobe beef is at a sukiyaki or shabu-shabu restaurant. Sukiyaki consists of thin slices of beef and vegetables cooked in a sweet-salty soy sauce, while you can think of shabu-shabu as a Japanese variant on steamboat or hotpot. In this city, we like Komon, which serves sets for both dishes starting at JPY5,000 – rather reasonable considering the quality of beef you’re getting. It’s popular with the locals, too.
7F Shinmichi bldg., 2-10-4 Shimoyamate-dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe-shi, 650-0011
〒650-0011 神戸市中央区下山手通2-10-4 シンミチビル7F
Subway and Train: 1-minute walk from the subway west exit 3 of Sannomiya / Kobe Sannomiya Station.
Official Website (in preparation)
:: Read customer reviews of Komon on TripAdvisor.
More Kobe Restaurant Recommendations:
See all the restaurants we recommend on our Places to Eat in Kobe page.
Kobe Travel Guide:
- Kobe Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Kobe
- Places To Eat In Kobe
- Kobe Itineraries
- Family-friendly Attractions in Kobe
- Kobe Cherry Blossoms
- Kobe Fall Foliage
- Kobe Districts
- Kobe Ryokan
- Kobe Hotels
- Kobe Map
- How To Get To Kobe
- Getting Around Kobe
- Best Time To Go To Kobe
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world