Whilst there’s no shortage of places in town to try Kobe’s famous Wagyu beef, Wakkoqu in the Kitano-cho district is one of the best. It’s expensive but a great introduction to this excellent cuisine.
Wakkoqu – image © Florentyna Leow
Wakkoqu has a quirky name, but there’s nothing cutesy about the excellent and expensive Kobe beef here. At this teppanyaki restaurant, you’ll watch chefs transform raw beef, butter, and garlic into some of the most exquisite bites of steak you’ll eat on your travels. The experience won’t come cheap, but this is one of the best places in the city for a first-time visitor to splurge on beef.
1F Hillside Terrace, 1-22-13 Nakayamate-dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe-shi, 650-0004
〒650-0004 神戸市中央区中山手通1-22-13 ヒルサイドテラス1F
Subway and Train: 6-minute walk from the subway east exit 8 of Sannomiya / Kobe Sannomiya Station.
:: Read customer reviews of Wakkoqu on TripAdvisor.
More Kobe Restaurant Recommendations:
See all the restaurants we recommend on our Places to Eat in Kobe page.
Kobe Travel Guide:
- Kobe Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Kobe
- Places To Eat In Kobe
- Kobe Itineraries
- Family-friendly Attractions in Kobe
- Kobe Cherry Blossoms
- Kobe Fall Foliage
- Kobe Districts
- Kobe Ryokan
- Kobe Hotels
- Kobe Map
- How To Get To Kobe
- Getting Around Kobe
- Best Time To Go To Kobe
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)