October 2022: Please note Gion Hatanaka has now permanently closed. Please see our Southern Higashiyama page for other places to stay in the area or see all Kyoto Ryokan we recommend.
Gion Hatanaka is an excellent foreign-friendly ryokan right in the heart of the Higashiyama sightseeing district. In addition to great accommodations, the inn offers regular geisha entertainment.
Only a stone’s throw from the northern gate of Yasaka-jinja Shrine and Maruyama-koen Park, Gion Hatanaka is a lovely and well-run ryokan that welcomes foreign guests. Unlike many ryokan in Kyoto, Hatanaka offers en suite bathtubs in every room. And, the rooms are significantly more spacious than comparable rooms in other ryokan and most luxury hotels in Kyoto. Finally, there’s a great communal bath on the property.
If you’re a fan of geisha, you should definitely check out Hatanaka’s Kyoto Cuisine and Maiko Evening. This involves a kaiseki dinner with about 20 other diners and entertainment by several apprentice geisha (maiko). You can speak with the maiko and even play some maiko drinking games. It’s probably the best way to experience the world of the geisha for a reasonable price. Check the Hatanaka site for details.
If you’re interested in understanding more about the role of geisha in Japanese culture, see my Kyoto Geisha page.
505 Gion-machi minami-gawa, Higashiyama-ku
Internet: wifi access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
10min walk from Gion Shijo Station, Keihan line or Kawaramachi Station, Hankyu line
:: Check availability and pricing for Gion Hatanaka Ryokan on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
More Kyoto Ryokan Suggestions: see all Kyoto Ryokan we recommend.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
More Kyoto Ryokan info:
- Kyoto Ryokan overview
- Best Luxury Ryokan In Kyoto
- Best Mid Range Ryokan In Kyoto
- Best Budget Ryokan In Kyoto
- Best Ryokan Near Kyoto
- Kyoto’s Best Ryokan For Families
- Kyoto’s Best Ryokan For Couples
- Kyoto Machiya
Best High-End Ryokan In Kyoto
- Tawaraya (Read guest reviews of Tawaraya on TripAdvisor.com)
- Hiiragiya Ryokan (Read guest reviews of Hiiragiya on TripAdvisor.com)
- Ugenta (Read guest reviews of Ugenta on TripAdvisor.com)
- Hoshinoya (Read guest reviews of Hoshinoya on TripAdvisor.com)
- Seikoro (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
- Yoshida Sanso (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
- Garden Ryokan Yachiyo (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
Best Mid Price Ryokan In Kyoto
- Hirashin Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Nishiyama Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Ryokan Izuyasu (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
Best Budget Ryokan In Kyoto
- Kyoto Yoshimizu (Read guest reviews of Kyoto Yoshimizu on TripAdvisor.com)
- Ryokan Shimizu (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Uemera Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Matsubaya Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Hanakiya Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Tanaka-ya (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
More Kyoto Hotels info:
- Kyoto Hotels Overview
- Check availability and pricing for Kyoto hotels at Agoda.com
- The Best Places To Stay In Kyoto
- Where To Stay In Kyoto
- Best Value Hotels In Kyoto
- Kyoto Vacation Rentals
- Best Luxury Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Boutique Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Mid-Range Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Kyoto Hostels and Guesthouses
- Best Kyoto Hotels For Families
- Best Ryokan In Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world