Tamahan is a classic traditional ryokan located on what may be the most attractive pedestrian-only lane in Kyoto: Ishibei-koji.
Tamahan is one of Kyoto’s most beautiful traditional ryokans. It’s located in a hidden corner of the Southern Higashiyama district accessible only by the incredibly atmospheric Ishibei-koji lane. With no cars to disturb you, you’ll enjoy the quiet and comfort of the place as you come and go. The ryokan is built around a fine Japanese garden and the rooms are large. It’s not cheap, but then, visiting a completely hidden secret world never is.
477 Shimokawara-cho, Higashiyama-ku
Internet: free wifi access
10-minute walk from Yasui bus stop, or 15-minute taxi ride from Kyoto Station
from outside Japan: 81-75-561-3188
from inside Japan but outside Kyoto: 075-561-3188
from inside Kyoto: 561-3188
Unfortunately Tamahan cannot be booked immediately online. You can make an availability inquiry through Tamahan’s official website.
You can also book any of the following high end ryokan immediately online with Agoda – each of these ryokan are of a similar class and experience to Tamahan.
Seikoro | Hatanaka | Yoshida Sanso | Yuzuya Ryokan
More Kyoto Ryokan Suggestions: see all Kyoto Ryokan we recommend.
More Kyoto Ryokan info:
- Kyoto Ryokan overview
- Best Luxury Ryokan In Kyoto
- Best Mid Range Ryokan In Kyoto
- Best Budget Ryokan In Kyoto
- Kyoto's Best Ryokan For Families
- Kyoto's Best Ryokan For Couples
- Kyoto Machiya
Best High-End Ryokan In Kyoto
- Tawaraya (Read guest reviews of Tawaraya on TripAdvisor.com)
- Hiiragiya Ryokan (Read guest reviews of Hiiragiya on TripAdvisor.com)
- Tamahan (Read guest reviews of Tamahan on TripAdvisor.com)
- Ugenta (Read guest reviews of Ugenta on TripAdvisor.com)
- Hoshinoya (Read guest reviews of Hoshinoya on TripAdvisor.com)
- Gion Hatanaka (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
- Seikoro (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
- Yoshida Sanso (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
- Garden Ryokan Yachiyo (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
Best Mid Price Ryokan In Kyoto
- Hirashin Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Nishiyama Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Ryokan Izuyasu (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
Best Budget Ryokan In Kyoto
- Kyoto Yoshimizu (Read guest reviews of Kyoto Yoshimizu on TripAdvisor.com)
- Ryokan Shimizu (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Uemera Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Matsubaya Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Hanakiya Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Tanaka-ya (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)