Fall colors at Shugakuin Rikyu Imperial Villa – image © Jeffrey Friedl
If you’re looking for brilliant fall foliage this year, you should consider making an appointment to visit Shugakuin Rikyu Imperial Villa, in northeast Kyoto. Yes, it’s a hassle to apply to visit, but the colors are worth it.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads